Tithes and Offerings for the Poor

We asked a pastor in Zambia how much his church receives in their weekly offering. His answer, “$16.” How can any lasting ministry be done with such a small amount?

A message from Bright Hope President C.H. Dyer –

 

As an ordained minister, I know the importance of the church, both scripturally and practically in the lives of every Christ-follower. In fact, at Bright Hope our sole channel for helping the poor is through local churches located in the world’s darkest slums and most remote villages. We now have over 500 churches in our network and almost all of these have very small weekly offerings. Not only are the people they serve poor, but the churches are poor as well. 

The “Tithes and Offerings” fund helps to empower poor churches in impoverished communities who want to help their communities with Christ’s love, God’s Word, and Hope for Today, Tomorrow and Eternity. 

 

A Christian’s first obligation is always to tithe to his or her local church. And we know that Christ- followers want to be obedient to the Word of God to care for the hungry and help those in trouble (Isaiah 58:10). So here is some additional information to see if this offering is right for you:


• Which Christians should participate in this offering?

Those who don’t regularly tithe to a local church because they have recently moved and haven’t found a home church, or they are between churches.

 

Those who have experienced a season of exceptional blessing and have an offering to give to the poor. 

 

Those with the “the widow’s mite.” A person who wants to bless the poor with their small but sacrificial gift. It wouldn’t take much to double the weekly offering of the church mentioned in my opening. 


• Who does my gift help? 

Your “Tithes and Offering” donation will bless Bright Hope’s network of churches who are helping the poor in their communities with Hope for Today, Tomorrow and Eternity. 

 

It will fund church ministries preaching the Word of God and teaching new believers as well as support Bible distribution, food distribution, education for children, job programs and many more practical programs.  


• How much of my gift will the churches get and how much is Bright Hope using for operations?

Eighty five percent (85%) of every dollar received is used by our church network. The other fifteen percent (15%) is used to wire the money, make sure it is used wisely and publish the reports of lives changed by your gifts. We believe every penny we receive should be used for God’s glory and so in the past few years we have sent more than 85% to our programs.


• How can I get information about the results of my gift? 

Reporting to you about the lives being changed by your tithes and offerings is important to us. Please sign up for our quarterly newsletter here for the most current information and check our home page and Facebook pages for inspiring stories.