URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Our church partners in Zambia and Haiti need your prayers as they help people facing sickness and violence. Please ask God to protect them as they offer aid and comfort to their communities and provide for them as they meet the physical and spiritual needs of the extreme poor.
Cholera in Haiti and Zambia
If you have been following the news, you may have noticed that cholera is on the rise in Haiti and Zambia.
Haiti finally eradicated cholera in early 2023 after years of outbreaks. By the end of 2023, however, it came back. Following months of drought, which further contaminated an already dangerous water supply in Haiti, cholera cases started to grow. And as of mid-December 2023, 1,156 people have died. Bright Hope has been following the cholera outbreak in Haiti for over a year.
Zambia has also endured skyrocketing numbers of cholera victims in the worst outbreak since the late 1970s. Nearly 9,000 cases have been registered and more than 350 people have died.
The cholera outbreak is so bad that Zambian officials have postponed re-opening schools after Christmas break until at least February 12. School closings tend to leave many children vulnerable when they are not in a safe classroom environment.
- Please ask God to protect vulnerable populations from this dangerous virus and to heal those who have already gotten sick.
- Pray for open doors and financial provision to improve access to clean water, sound sanitation and education for health and hygiene.
- Ask our heavenly Father to empower Bright Hope’s church partners in Haiti and Zambia to meet the spiritual, physical and emotional needs of families affected by the cholera outbreak.
Violent Protests in Haiti
Haiti is no stranger to political unrest! Haiti’s Nord-Est is the current scene of violent protests against the acting Prime Minister. While the protests have not affected Bright Hope’s partner churches, they will likely have opportunities to minister to neighboring communities that have been affected. Learn more about the protests here: https://crisis24.garda.com/alerts/2024/01/haiti-protests-likely-to-continue-nationwide-through-late-january.
- Please pray that protesting groups would pursue peaceful resolutions to their grievances.
- Ask God to give wisdom to our partner churches as they consider offering help to people in danger.
- Please ask God to flood Haiti with peace and eternal hope that comes from the gospel.
Please Pray for this Urgent Prayer Request
Truly, it feels overwhelming to think about the desperate needs of the extreme poor. We may wonder if our gifts and prayers can make a dent in the problem. But our loving Father cares deeply about the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of every human being on earth. And He has a special place in His heart for the extreme poor.
Please join us in praying boldly that God would stop the cholera outbreaks in Zambia and Haiti. Ask the Lord to calm the protests in Haiti and protect the vulnerable. And remember to never underestimate the power of God’s answers to your prayers.