I love Thanksgiving! Family gatherings… Red, orange, and yellow leaves everywhere… Lots of yummy food! With these come traditions that teach us how to practice gratitude.
I especially love Thanksgiving because it’s a time to stop and reflect on our lives—to evaluate our priorities and make necessary changes.
When I consider the millions of families around the world who don’t have a reliable source of income to meet their basic needs, some mixed emotions surface. Like…
- Should I feel guilty or thankful for having plenty of food to eat?
- What does it feel like to wonder where your next meal will come from?
- How can I put my gratitude into practice in a way that truly helps the extreme poor?
How Can You Practice Gratitude?
This Thanksgiving, we at Bright Hope know you want to help the world’s poorest families leave behind hunger, fear, and isolation. To do that, these families need a reliable way to put food on the table, pay for their kids’ education, and follow a path out of poverty. The problem is, the generational cycle of poverty is hard to break—impoverished kids often go to bed with hungry stomachs, don’t have a chance to go to school or gain skills for the future, and can’t go to the doctor when they get sick. They feel hopeless and forgotten by God.
We believe that human beings shouldn’t have to live like this. Honestly, it’s just not right. We’re all made in the image of God, dearly loved, and with inherent worth. Throughout the Bible, God commands us to care for the poor. But we have a choice: will we obey, or not?
We understand you want to make a meaningful impact on those living in abject poverty, and we can show you how. For more than 50 years, we have worked to help people create sustainable solutions that break the cycle of extreme poverty. We also have the financial endorsements of Charity Navigator and ECFA to show that we will manage your gifts well.
Turning Thoughts into Action
With Thanksgiving two days away, you have the choice to stop the cycle of suffering—of hungry kids who grow up to be hopeless parents who can’t feed their kids. And this path will help you put your gratitude for God’s blessings into action!
- Give. Your one-time gift will meet a family’s need for necessities like food, shelter, and medicine.
- Become an Impact Ally. Your monthly gift will help families to build sustainable businesses and increase their incomes permanently.
- Celebrate your impact! Become an advocate for the extreme poor and help others to get involved by sharing our posts on social media.
Together, we can obey God’s command to care for the poor.
Happy Thanksgiving from Bright Hope!