Have you thrown away your masks? Did you get vaccinated, or have you chosen not to? Did you start attending church in person yet, or have you continued to worship online?
One of the great benefits and blessings of America is that we have choices. We have options. We have freedom.
This is not the case for billions outside the US, and especially for the extreme poor. Let me break it down for you.
- Most of the extreme poor live in a perpetual state of unhealthiness. Their immune systems can’t fight even common sicknesses. On top of that, their lack of nutritious food makes them even more susceptible to disease.
- The poor are dying from Covid, Malaria, Typhoid, and other viruses in greater numbers than reported.
- Vaccinations have reached 1 in every 4 persons in high-income countries, but only 1 in every 500 persons in low-income countries. This means poor people are still getting sick and dying from Covid, while the rich are increasing their immunity.
- In Uganda, less than 1% of the population has access to Covid vaccines. Specifically for Bright Hope overseas staff, a couple have been fully vaccinated. Other staff members, however, have either received just one of the two-shot vaccines, or have no access to vaccines at all.
- For the first time, Zambia is reporting an increase in cases. Our staff members, therefore, have begun to take precautions to slow the spread of the virus.
- In Haiti, our staff have reported that pastors who do home visits are now succumbing to the disease.
- In Bolivia, one of our pastor partners, Pastor Cleto, has been hospitalized with Covid and is on oxygen. His wife has also received a positive Covid diagnosis.
What can you and I do?
Prayer is the first offensive effort.
Spend a minute or two asking God to move mountains of vaccines and medicines to those who need it most.
Bright Hope continues to provide food to keep kids and adults well, especially where food shortages exist. We also are helping provide available medicines and deliver the weak to hospitals, especially those who need oxygen and treatment.
Thank you for considering how you can help stem the tide of Covid among the extreme poor!
And please share this blog with others who may want to pray and give.
Learn More About Bright Hope’s Programs